Linked entries are a powerful way to create relationships between your content, it's a fundamental principle to creating better content. When you have many entries in your model, understanding how they are linked together is essential to managing the content.
Entries are linked together using entry fields, for example.
- A story links to an author
- A story links to a book
- A book links to its publisher
- A book links to an illustrator
- A publisher links to its parent organisation
To understand how your content is connected you can use the entry usage panel to explore the relationships of an entry.
- Open an entry for editing.
- Press the Entry usage button in the editor toolbar to open the Entry usage panel.
- If the entry is linked to other entries, a list of entries will be displayed in the panel. Each item in the list shows the title of the entry, what field in the entry is referencing the current entry and its content type.
Search for a linked entry
If you want to locate a specific entry amongst a longer list of entries, you can filter the entries using the content type dropdown. Alternatively you can search for the entry by its title in the search box.
Edit linked entry
You can edit a linked entry directly from the entry usage panel list. Click the entry and it will open in an inline entry editor for editing.
Entry usage count
If you want to understand how many pieces of content reference an entry the count is displayed in the entry information panel. You can open the entry information panel from the entry listing or entry editor.